There is something magical about the quiet of falling snow and that waiting winter white that blankets a once-familiar world. While snowstorms can be fun, they can also be dangerous if you are caught unprepared. Ensuring you have some basic items will keep your family and home safe in case of an emergency.
- keep supplies on hand: rock salt, shovels, clothing and blankets to keep you warm, cell phones charged, battery operated radio with extra batteries, water, long lasting candles, flashlights, matches, and non-perishables.
- Winterize your home by insulating walls and attics, caulking and weather-stripping doors and windows, and installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic.
- Clear rain gutters, repair roof leaks, and cut away tree branches that could fall on a house or other structure during a storm.
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected every year.
- Running water, even just a trickle, helps keep your pipes from freezing. Insulate Insulate pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing. Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
Stay warm & safe out there!