A brand new floor is a beautiful sight, but floors are meant to be used which means they can often take a beating. Give your old floor some love with these helpful tips:
- For ceramic or porcelain tile: Clean tile using vinegar and water and once dry rub a small amount of toothpaste until the scratch is filled. Lightly sand the area until it has an even finish. Paint or spray a thin layer of urethane sealant.
- For cork: Fill the scratches with wood filler and leave to dry. Lightly sand the area until it has an even finish. Cleaning a cloth or rag apply the wood stain and leave to dry. Paint or spray a thin layer of urethane sealant.
- For laminated & hardwood: Clean the area using water and vinegar. For hardwood, buff out the scratch with wire wool until it isn’t noticeable. Rub with, not against, the grain. For laminated wood, skip to the next step. Apply wax in a circular motion using lint free cloth. Leave 10 minutes then buff using the lint free cloth.
- Vinyl: Ensure the area is well-ventilated. Put on rubber gloves and use a rag to wipe down the area is lacquer thinner. Once dry, place strips of masking tape around the scratch then apply a thin layer of liquid seam sealer into the scratch. Remove the masking tape once dry.
- To remove deep scratches on laminate wood and hardwood: Clean the area with vinegar and water and once dry press wood filler into the scratches, using a putty knife to smooth the surfaces. With the cloth, apply wood stain and leave to dry. Apply a thin layer of lacquer to seal.